A while back I wrote about my Charitable Drip System, where I pledged a penny per (paid) word of my blogging to charity.  Well, I am happy to announce – albeit belatedly! – that I sent a check in the amount of $73.98 to The Nature Conservancy.  One could snicker at this tawdry amount; but then, most great things are not only accomplished in small parts, but take the efforts of many.  Watch Will Smith describe how he and his brother built an impressive wall when they were children…brick by tenacious brick.

“We shall never achieve harmony with the land, anymore than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.” Aldo Leopold (Round River: From the Journals of Aldo Leopold)

I heart trees

I heart trees. From my Mt. Whitney hike

I have many causes that I support and care about deeply.  TNC is long-running for me, and I feel that their work benefits not only flora and fauna worldwide, but people, too, in that they preserve entire eco-systems by purchasing massive tracts of land outright.  In this way, the lands in their care are not subject to the fickle whims of governments and communities who change priorities and protections as often as Facebook changes their format.  :D For nearly 60 years they have been successfully keeping greedy, exploitive mitts off lands that are critical in supporting precious life.  They are science-based, and they work with people and communities, creating solutions for land, forest, and live-stock management and more, as well as educating us silly folk.  I have yet so much to learn.  Please visit The Nature Conservancy site for a more comprehensive (and eloquent!) overview of their ambitious and effective efforts. They rock.

Dandy dandelions, Santa Barbara, California

Dandy dandelions, Santa Barbara, California

A BIG thank you goes to those who support me both on this blog, and today especially to those who have paid me for my blogessness, enabling me to contribute my drops. I encourage you all to not wait until you can give bodaciously.  Trust me, even just texting $5 or $10 to an urgent cause can help so much, and can uplift your spirit that day.  An what better day to have your spirit uplifted than on Halloween? ;) What have been your favorite small contributions?

If you enjoyed this post and it’s premise, you might also like to see this uber cool interview of me by Annemarie Dooling ( @TravelingAnna on Twitter ) in the Huffington Post…..Did I manage to sound cool when I said that? ‘Cause I’m so thrilled! *happy jig* It was really fun to meet her and get to know a fellow passionate travelista.  If you can stomach yet another link, she shares her travel and food adventures in her Frill Seeker Diaries.

All photos by G. Stark

What do you think of this post?
Awesome (4) Interesting (1) Useful (1) Meh (0)

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Shauna November 1, 2010 at 1:42 pm

That is great- like you say, every little bit counts!

And congrats on the Huffingpost interview!

Gina SuuperG Stark November 1, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Thank you!! It's nice to be counted ;) Cheers, G

lovehatesf November 2, 2010 at 9:57 pm

You're so nice Gina!

Gina SuuperG Stark November 3, 2010 at 12:12 am

You're nice to stop by and say that! I am inspired by much greater people than myself. :) Cheers, G

The_New_Just_Me November 5, 2010 at 7:03 pm

You are SUUPER Gina. Bet you don't know who I am. (Hint) Butter. :)

The_New_Just_Me November 5, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Gina, The Total for #TeamMera is at $47 now. I have extended the sale to the end on November. I do hope more comes in.

Gina SuuperG Stark November 5, 2010 at 11:34 pm

'Tis YOU who are suuper, James! ;) To all my awesome readers/supporters; James has generously committed to allotting 10% of sales from his site <a href="http://www.jacru.com” target=”_blank”>www.jacru.com to Team Mera's climb for Charity:Water, through the month of November! Thank you, James. You are a team member in heart and spirit! xoxoxo Gina

Marie November 26, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I love what you do Gina. That is nothing to snicker at. I love that your heart desires to do more for others. You not only walk the talk, but you speak it loudly! ONE of the many reasons I looooove you to pieces!!

{{HUGS}}
@spreadingJOY

Gina SuuperG Stark November 26, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Darling Marie! I do hope you know that your generous, positive and ebullient attitude are an inspiration to MANY, including me. I only hope to measure up to HALF of what you do for others, seemingly tirelessly! Thank you thank you thank you for loooove and huugs!!! :) xoxoxo G

Tracy November 27, 2010 at 3:15 am

Nothing that comes from the heart is too small! It is in the blessing of others that we find ourselves blessed!

Gina SuuperG Stark November 28, 2010 at 11:15 am

Hi Tracy! Thank you so much for visiting and for your sweet encouragement and support. I do feel blessed in my friendships and connections :) Cheers and blissings! G