What constitutes a Twitter Giant?  Some would say it’s a measure of followers; others would claim it’s real life status or celebrity, while others, still, may argue it’s someone with a high influence rating. It could be someone with a 3G iPad or a cool “Follow Me” bumper sticker on their moped.  Either way, they are popular and their Twitter accounts flutter with activity.  They usually post consistently great content, are supportive of  fellow Twits :) and engage when they can.  One thing I would say they have in common is they have other pursuits.  They have blog sites, websites, businesses, causes, kids, hobbies, pets, talents, friends, interests…you know, those elements that comprise a life. This is what makes them interesting!  (Some who are giants to me have a small number of followers but share BIG love)

They are also human.  And this is where I would like to suggest that we, as their gawkers, followers, admirers, and…well…stalkers, give them the space and consideration to live those lives and come back and share tidbits with us on Twitter. Let’s not put them up on gilded Twitter pedestals, only to pull them down and lambaste them for ignoring us.  Don’t expect them to drop everything and gush over every RT or comment. It’s a simple matter of numbers. It is physically, humanly impossible when you consider the scope of the traffic they must filter.  If they tried, then frankly, they would cease to continue those very pursuits that make them so follow-able and retweetable :)

It may seem like you are applauding and shouting out into the ether… commenting on and retweeting their offerings loyally and seemingly with no gratitude.  I’ve even seen and heard mild grumblings referring to “neglect” and “too big for their britches”-ness.  But, trust me; they see the love and appreciation of their followers and I’m thinking it encourages them to keep providing us with the goods.  Everyone has their own style, and some try to thank individually, some thank in general, but I know that my personal favorite “giants” are stellar people who keep it interesting and far be it from me to slow their rockin’ pace of posting to stop and wave at me. Don’t get me wrong, I love it when they do! especially because I do know what madness it must be to manage and coddle 50,000+ followers and keep the content flowing.

I’m just saying that if you DON’T get a personal thank you or a delicately handwritten perfumed note in the mail for your retweet about saving the slugs of San Salvador, just chill. We’re all part of a network and we should forward the sweet tweets regardless of “reward”. A retweet is a perpetual gift that gets paid forward.  So don’t look back :) It’s called faith; believing in their gratitude even in the absence of any evidence of it ;)

Perhaps the impetus for writing this entry may have a wee bit to do with the fact that my following numbers are growing and my style is to engage, thank and laugh with my “tweeps” and I’m finding that I sleep and eat less in order to stay online and have fun with all of the dynamic, supportive people I’ve discovered on Twitter. I mean, how can anyone expect me to resist #chestbumps with my fellow #TeamMera hiking girlies @TamaraSchilling and @aileen2u2 ?!?  I digress… (what else is new?)

Fledgling Twitterer

But, truly, this concept has been mulling in my mind for a while now.  When I was a lil Twitter fledgling with only a few hundred followers, I would tend towards feeling snubbed if I wasn’t acknowledged.  Then I shook my head and got some perspective (it arrived via FedEx) and tried to grasp the sheer magnitude of the task facing these Twitter Suuperstars* in responding to the cacaphony of tweets mentioning them.  I decided to not look at it personally, put the ego in check (or in the toaster, I’m never really sure) and keep thanking them for good stuff and retweeting what I like, regardless of “recognition”. It’s so much nicer this way…lower your expectations and you’ll more often be pleasantly surprised!

Let’s let the biggies, even encourage them, to keep doing what they are so dang good at doing in their “other” lives and be grateful for the scraps they toss our way on Twitter! lol OK, not scraps — gems of wisdom, twitpics of beauty, breaking news, quotes of inspiration, and observations and ponderings of daily life that make us clutch our tummies in hysterics.  Thank you for reading and I’ll see you out on the playground ;)

*The extra “u” was intentional :) I am, after all, SuuperG

If you liked this post, you may also tolerate: Twitter Trifles: I am SO Unfollowing You

What do you think of this post?
Awesome (17) Interesting (4) Useful (7) Meh (0)

{ 27 comments… read them below or add one }

@URKidnRite May 13, 2010 at 7:38 am

I love this post. One of the problems for people new to Twitter is the most recommended people have the most followers. I had a little bit of frustration at the beginning when trying to engage people. Now that I'm getting updates, RTs and replies/mentions from around 100 people a day, I'm not able to keep up and thank them as I would like to, and still remain engaged in my job and my family. We make trade-offs. :)

I'd like to see Twitter recommendations focus less on the number of followers people have, but more for the interactivity. Or maybe an option showing the giants / celebs (I see them as 2 categories, those who have worked to build a large following by engaging and sharing great content, and celebrities, many of whom aren't that engaging and have varying levels of content) OR to look for the "most engaging on twitter" – those with high percentages of replies to mentions or retweets, etc.

gitanablog May 13, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I agree, Kid! ;) That would be a nice list…Many people make their own lists of "conversationalists" but people new to Twitter often won't know where to look for that for a while and it would be nice at the intro. You definitely make "engaging" pure fun and giggles. Thanks so muuchly for your Twitter friendship and your visits and input on my wee blog! It makes it weeeeee lol ;-) Cheers! G

@glitterglitzer May 13, 2010 at 8:22 am

Incredibly written and spot on as usual! You really are a suuper too! You see I always saw you as one of the elite… :-) And I was thankful that you answered to my tweets.
Some of the tweeters I see as elite have absolutely low followers… But to me they are fabulous.
And as you said some of the 'giants' must get swamped with mentions and comments… and I don't care that they do not answer but when they do it makes me real happy and that feeling is like a drug…. LOL So guys.. ignore me and then surprise me! LOL

@URKidnRite May 13, 2010 at 8:36 am

LOL, great comment! "Ignore me and then surprise me!"

I can't imagine how Gina does it. I see now that I didn't finish my original thought. She's got almost 10x the followers as me and doesn't miss much. She should have 100x more followers because I want people exposed to her contagious positivity, but I don't know how she could possibly keep up with just 10 more followers. :) Stuuning. :)

gitanablog May 13, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I'm nuts. Nuff said ;) xox

gitanablog May 13, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Hi Glitter ;) Thanks so much for this lovely and generous comment/compliment! I'm the lucky one when you engage with me…I think you consistently make me laugh the hardest!…and mostly at myself!!! I love you for that…and for your shared love and compassion for animals…OK, off topic! lol I so dig that comment: 'ignore me and then surprise me" …sounds like a bad clingy relationship! heehee *huugggs* to you, my sweet! G

@MAS_is_more May 13, 2010 at 8:37 am

As always I loved this post! Not just because you quoted me… did love that though! Thank you! Your points are excellent and needed to be said. Bravo! You rock like Moon rocks! :)

gitanablog May 13, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Thanks, Max, for your "rockin'" comments! Really, coming from someone whose blog I thoroughly enjoy, I am blissified that you take the time to come and humor me here ;) Thanks for your friendship! Cheers, G

Trace May 13, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Wonderful Gina, loved the truth of it! Thanks for being a Gentle Giant yourself…

gitanablog May 13, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Golly…shuffle shuffle…not really – but my awesome friends online and in life make me feel kinda spayshull at times :) Thanks, Trace, for visiting and sharing your thoughts. Always appreciated! *HUUGGGS* G

Nicky May 13, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Hi Gina!
I loved this piece! No wait, I luuved it ;) Keep rocking!!

gitanablog May 14, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Thanks so muuchly Nicky ;-) Big smile over here :)) Cheers! G

9swords May 14, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Very insightful !

gitanablog May 15, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Thank you :) and thanks so much for "stopping by". Next time, I'll try to have tea and crumpets :D Cheers! G

Becky Holland May 17, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Excellent post! Although I’m definately NOT a twitter giant… I have a good following and it amazes me to see the fluctuation of followers after a weekend. You see… I have an offline life as well and don’t turn the computer on most weekends. I end up losing many new followers (those who added on Thursday or Friday) because they figure I will never post again or I haven’t responded to their direct message or retweet. A little patience and understanding goes a very long way in relationship building!

gitanablog May 18, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Thank you so much, Becky, for your visit and your illuminating comments. Wow – to think people ditch you so fast for having a life on a weekend! :-} I agree that a little patience and understanding go a long way in relationships – and that means online and offline. Have a suuperb day :) G

modelsupplies May 18, 2010 at 11:47 pm

G is for Giant~!! @SuuperG iant =) I don't know how many followers you have, but it should be well into the millions~!!! You definitely share BIG time! Thanks for the great post =)
x0x
Anita @ModelSupplies

gitanablog May 20, 2010 at 9:26 am

Thanks, Anita, Dahlink for stopping by and for your effusive support and luuvliness in general!! You are a true Giant in that you juggle an amazing business, offline life and family and a mega Twitter account replete with people who love you because you provide great content, thoughtful feedback and most importantly – joy and lols! You, my dear, are the role model…Hey! Lookie that! "Model" Supplies – hardee har! ;-) Love and hugs to you and thanks for your friendship! xoxo G

mtietbohl May 22, 2010 at 8:30 am

This is a great post and reminder of how much work it is to be a Twitter superstar (not that I would know from personal experience :). I enjoy reading the tweets from the people I follow, and would hate to see them stop. Regards, Mark

gitanablog May 22, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Greetings Mark! Thanks so much for stopping by and for your nice comments. I, too, enjoy so many people with varied interests and style of content I would be sad if any threw up their hands in exasperation :) Nice to see you here and on the Twitter stream! Have a great weekend and hope to see you back :) Cheers! G

Gerald Weber June 23, 2010 at 2:10 am

SuuperGforce,

Excellent post.

I think the most important thing for people to bear in mind is that people tweet differently and some peeps have a different style than others.

I used to write posts about How to use Twitter properly etc but as time went on I started to realize more and more that different people use Twitter differently and it's best for people to find their own way (own personal style) that works for them.

And another simple point for people that complain about ting like "he or she @replies too much" or "He is she tweets too much" if you don't like someones style of they way they tweet etc. The unfollow button is just a click away.

I personally rarely unfollow someone because it seems to be a bit antisocial to me but the point is following someone is an opt in process. So people shouldn't complain about the way someone else tweets. Just unfollow if you don't like it.

gitanablog June 24, 2010 at 12:36 am

Thanks so much fellow G! I love your points and contribution (from a Giant in many aspects!) So true…who are we to say how to tweet properly? I do think guidelines and suggestions and thoughts on one method/m.o. or another are always helpful. Heck, aren't I about to post one on your blog? haha ;) I love the comment that following someone on Twitter "is an opt in process". Simple and strong truism, that! We need to remember that. I see why you've attracted an impressive following. Happy tweeting! Cheers, G-Girl lol

@carolw44 June 23, 2010 at 2:55 am

lol, I never knew you were supposed to acknowledge retweets… i love retweeting good quotes, don't really care where they come from. if anyone has retweeted me, I don't know about it. I think Twitter is like a flock of birds, all tweeting. Do birds pay attention, or do they just sing? Who knows… it's fun anyway.

gitanablog June 24, 2010 at 12:39 am

Hi lovely! Read Gerald's comment…you don't have to do anything. It's your own experience. :) And, may I say I am thrilled that I've met you as part of my experience on Twitter :) I LOVE the flock of birds analogy and I'm gonna tweet it! ;-) It reminds me of the saying, something like: The bird sings not because he has an audience, but a song in his heart. Thank for your comment and your friendship/support. Keep singing! xoxoxoxo Gina

yousufrafi July 3, 2010 at 7:34 am

"A retweet is a perpetual gift that gets paid forward. So don’t look back :) It’s called faith" ok here I can see same liveliness in your post. Twitter is all about sharing and caring… very well written article friend… it's not about followers its about love we all share via Twitter… such tremendous amount of love from around the globe in just 140chrs… and yes you are surely one of my Twitter Giants for sure :D

Gina SuuperG Stark July 4, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Thank you so muuchly Yousuf for visiting and for your very kind comments! Yes, my Twitter experience has been very positive and supportive and hug-filled :) I'm glad I've met you there and I so appreciate the gems of sunshine (and sweets!) that you send my way! :) To me, someone is a giant by the impact they have and how much they brighten your day and your Twitter experience. In this way, YOU are a giant, my friend! *huugggs* to you! Cheers, G

goldeneagle July 13, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Yes, VERY well thought out/written. I"M TRYING! I'm swamped @ 300 followers and have NO comprehension of managing 50,000 or 500,000. But I DO know YOU are SuuperGenerous so the HECK with @Alyssa_Milano : )